Slingshot Power Overview
Slingshot Power is a solar installation company headquartered in Los Altos, California, with locations in Sacramento and Las Vegas. The company was founded in 2013 and majorly handles low-cost projects.
Slingshot Power offers services such as energy evaluation, solar design, solar installation, and solar financing, battery backup and storage, and solar energy system monitoring.
Slingshot Power Services and Specifics
Slingshot Power provides the following services;
- Energy Audit & Site Evaluation: Slingshot Power offers energy audit and site analysis for clients who wish to go solar. The analysis is usually followed by a solar design that is customized to the energy needs of the client.
- Solar Design: Slingshot Power experts design solar systems that are configured for a property’s energy needs. The company’s solar experts help the client choose the best solar panel, inverters, etc. depending on the client’s budget or energy preferences.
- Solar Installations: Slingshot Power provides solar panel installations based on a solar design for residential, commercial and non-profits clients.
- Battery Backup & Storage: For customers who wish to go off the grid, Slingshot Power also provides standalone solar systems that are powered by backup batteries.
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station: Slingshot Power also installs EV charging stations for residential customers.
Slingshot Power services have received mixed to negative reviews.
In the positive reviews, customers commended the company particularly for their;
- Competitive pricing
- Installation quality
In the negative reviews, customers criticized the company particularly for;
- Poor after sales support
- Poor customer service
- Poor scheduling
Solar Panels and Services offered by Slingshot Power
Specific Solar Panels Offered
Slingshot Power installs solar panels from the following solar manufacturers;
- Q CELLS: Q-Cells is a South Korean solar manufacturer that develops and sells photovoltaic (PV) solar cells. Q CELLS solar panels start at around 20% efficiency with the Q.PEAK DUO-G5, and top out at 20.9% with the Q.PEAK DUO XL-G9. The panels come in different models ranging in output power of 345 to 500 watts.
- SunPower: SunPower offers multiple high efficiency monocrystalline solar panel options with efficiency of up to 22.8 percent. The SunPower M-Series AC solar panels are the highest-efficiency available at 440-420 watts. The X-Series delivers more power and savings, with fewer panels on your roof. While the U-Series are the most recent addition to the panel options for the SunPower Equinox systems.
SpecificTypes of Solar Offered
Slingshot Power offers grid-tied and off-grid installations. They handle the following types of solar projects;
- Residential Solar: In this service, Slingshot Power installs a complete solar energy kit customized to the electricity needs of a resident’s home.
Installation costs and process
The cost of going solar with Slingshot Power is estimated to be about $3.00 per watt before any solar incentive. There are several solar incentives available that could cut these costs to very affordable levels. Incentives such as;
- Federal Solar Tax Credit (ITC): With this solar incentive, every solar patronizer in the US is eligible to a 26% tax credit for solar systems installed in the years 2020 to 2022, then it comes down to 22% in 2023. This means you can reduce the total cost of installing a solar system for your home or business by 26%. But remember this incentive applies to those who buy their system either by cash purchase or solar loan, and not leases.
- Net Metering Program: Electric utilities in California offer “true net metering” to customers with solar PV systems.
Some of the solar incentives available in California include;
- California Solar System Property Tax Exemption: California has a renewable energy property tax exemption so that residents of the State don’t pay extra taxes as a result of the value their solar panels add to their homes
Slingshot Power offers the following financing options;
- Loan – You can apply for a loan through your local bank or credit union or explore Slingshot Power’ loan options, allowing you to finance your solar system even if you cannot purchase it outright. Clients can also utilize tax credits and rebates for a cheaper payment.
- Lease – Low monthly payments to add solar to your home or business.
- PACE – Through the Property Assessed Clean Energy (PACE) program, businesses in participating areas can pay for their solar system through their property tax, allowing repayment for up to 20 years on a fixed rate loan.
Based on our analysis of their competitors in the state, we expect Slingshot Power’s price rates to meet the average standard solar rates in California. Any reader interested in going solar in California should also take advantage of the solar incentives available in the state.
- Slingshot Power is registered and licensed to operate in the state of California.
- The company’s website is offline.
- Slingshot Power is not BBB accredited.
- Slingshot Power is a registered dealer of SunPower solar products.
- The company’s contact details are publicly available on external databases. These include their street address phone number and operating hours.
Based on our findings, Slingshot Power is a registered and legitimate business in the state of California. But the company’s management has declined significantly over the years.
Slingshot Power provides after sales support and maintenance. They offer solar products with the following warranties;
- 25-year performance, labor and workmanship warranty (SunPower)
- 12-year product warranty and a 25-year linear performance guarantee (Q CELLS)
Slingshot Power’s maintenance team has not received mostly negative reviews from customers. In the reviews, most customers complained particularly about unresponsiveness and unavailability.
Based on the few customer reviews available, Slingshot Power’s customer service has been criticized particularly for their lack of support.
The SolarEmpower View
Slingshot Power is a solar installation company located in Los Altos, California.
From our findings, Slingshot Power’s management team has been performing poorly over the years since its inception, although recent reviews indicate that there has been a change in management and the company’s overall services has been significantly improved.
In conclusion, we cannot recommend Slingshot Power for any solar project in California.
The table below is a summarized review of Slingshot Power:
|Locations||Los Altos, California|
|Services||Energy Audit & Site Evaluation, Solar Design, Solar Installations, Battery Backup & Storage, Electric Vehicle Charging Station|
|Solar brands used||SunPower, Q-CELLS|
|Cost||$3 per watt (before solar incentives)|
|Legitimacy||Fully registered and licensed, Website is unavailable, BBB unaccredited, contact details publicly available on external databases.|